Google Maps It is one of the most applications useful and popular that exist. With it, we can explore the world, search for places, get directions, see traffic and much more. However, Google Maps is not satisfied with being just a digital map, but seeks to offer an increasingly realistic and interactive experience. One of the latest innovations that has been presented Google Maps is the immersive view, a function that allows us to see a city in 3D and from various angles, using artificial intelligence.
This function is an evolution of vintage street view, which shows us real images of the streets as if we were there. In this article we explain what the immersive view of Google Maps is, how it works and what advantages it has. We also tell you how you can activate it and use it on your mobile or computer. If you want to know more about this amazing feature from Google Maps, keep reading.
Table of Contents
What is the immersive view of Google Maps?
The immersive view of Google Maps It is a technology that allows us to see a city in 3D and from various angles, using artificial intelligence. With this function, we can explore a city and its surroundings, as if we were there or as if we saw it from an airplane.
It is based on combining satellite images with billions of Street View photographs to create a three-dimensional and realistic model of a city. This model can be rotated, zoomed in or out, to obtain different perspectives and details.
It is available on all types of mobile devices through the Google Maps app, although at the moment it can only be used in some cities, such as Los Angeles, London, New York, San Francisco or Tokyo. The function will be expanded to more cities in the future.
How does Google Maps immersive view work?
The Google Maps immersive view works through a two-step process: capture and render.
- In the step of capture, Google uses different image sources to obtain a complete and detailed view of each place. These sources are the following:
- Satellite images: These are images taken from space by artificial satellites. These images cover the entire planet and offer a broad overview of each area.
- Aereal images: These are images taken from the air by planes or drones. These images cover more specific areas and offer a closer and more detailed view of each place.
- Terrestrial images: They are images taken from the ground by cars, bicycles or people equipped with special cameras. These images cover the streets and buildings and offer a real and accurate view of each place.
- In the step of Rendered, Google uses artificial intelligence and deep learning algorithms to fuse and process the captured images. These algorithms are capable of recognize map elements, such as streets, buildings or monuments, and assign them an appropriate shape, color, texture and lighting. This creates a 3D model that faithfully reproduces reality.
The result It is a three-dimensional and interactive image that can be seen from different perspectives and angles. You can zoom in or out to see more or less detail. You can also change the orientation or tilt of the image to see the place from above, from below or from the sides. Additionally, you can interact with map elements such as street names, house numbers or traffic signs.
What advantages does the immersive view of Google Maps have?
The immersive view of Google Maps has several advantages for users:
- Es realistic e interactive. It allows us to see a city as if we were there or as if we saw it from the air, with a surprising level of detail and precision. In addition, we can change the view as we see fit, to explore different areas or aspects.
- Es Useful e disclosures. It helps us plan our trips, orient ourselves better in an unknown city or learn more about its history and culture. It can also help us find interesting or curious places that do not appear in tourist guides.
- Es funny y entertaining. Offers us a different and original way to discover the world, without leaving home or spending money. It can also surprise us with spectacular views or unusual details that we had not seen before.
How to activate and use the immersive view of Google Maps?
To activate and use the immersive view of Google Maps you have to follow a few very simple steps:
- On mobile: you have to open the Google Maps application and search for a city that has the feature available (for example, New York). Then you have to click on the icon Layers, which is in the upper right corner, and select the option immersive view. The 3D model of the city will then be displayed, which can be rotated, zoomed in or out with your fingers. You can also click on the icon Explore, which is in the lower right corner, to see different predefined views of the city.
- In the computer: you have to open the Google Maps website and search for a city that has the feature available (for example, London). Then you have to click on the icon Satellite, which is in the lower left corner, and select the option immersive view. The 3D model of the city will then be displayed, which can be rotated, zoomed in or out with the mouse. You can also click on the icon Explore, which is in the lower right corner, to see different predefined views of the city.
Discover the world from wherever you want
The immersive view of Google Maps It is a function that allows us to see a city in 3D and from various angles, using artificial intelligence. This function is an evolution of the classic Street View, which shows us real images of the streets as if we were there.
It has several advantages for users, such as being realistic, interactive, useful, informative, fun and entertaining. It is also very easy to activate and use, both on mobile and computer.
If you want to learn more about this incredible Google Maps feature, we invite you to try it and explore the world with it. I'm sure you will be surprised with what you can see and learn.