If you have bought a silicone mobile phone case, especially transparent silicone ones, you will have noticed that with the passage of time and use, this case gets darker and darker, until it ends up becoming a yellowish cover. Something that is quite anti-aesthetic, and that can give a dirty feeling. In addition, when they become more opaque, it will not do any good to be transparent, since the finish of the mobile will not be able to be seen well, if that is what you were looking for when you chose the transparent one.
But this problem it can be prevented, and there are solutions for it. Here is everything you need to get rid of this problem once and for all.
Table of Contents
Are there anti-yellowing covers?
If you are asking yourself this question, The answer is yes. exist mobile phone cases that have special treatments or chemical compositions that help delay or prevent yellowing with time and use. Therefore, if you want to forget about these problems, you should take a look at some of the anti-yellowing cases that exist on the market for your mobile device.
To prevent them from turning yellow, I also recommend that you avoid TPU or silicone cases, and choose other materials that do not have this problem. However, if you already have a yellowish cover and you don't know what to do with it, here you go. some tricks to be able to clean it, improve its appearance and also to prevent these inconveniences.
Why is the cover yellowish?
There are several mobile phone case materials on the market. Regardless of the color, design or type of cover, there are those that use silicone, TPU, or rigid ones (plastic, metal, leather,...). There is a huge variety. But the polymer ones, especially the transparent ones, always tend to darken over time and turn a yellowish color.
The reason these materials tend to have this color is by wear and dirt, since it is a porous material, Athough it does not seems. In fact, if you look closely, the most affected areas are those that you usually touch the most, such as the flanks, the button area, etc. It has no other mystery. What can be a mystery is how to prevent this from happening or how to solve the problem of the yellowish cover.
How to prevent this problem?
Silicone or TPU cases turning yellow is inevitable. In fact, given the cheap price they usually have, in many cases the best option is to directly discard the cover and buy a new one if you prefer. It is not mandatory, since that tone does not affect the properties of these protectors, but it can be something that affects aesthetics.
If you have no choice but to buy a TPU or silicone case, or you are already suffering from such problems, you should know that there is a way to prevent yellowing of the case. And that happens by keeping the device always clean, as well as wash your hands before handling it, since skin oil and dirt are the two main enemies. If this is not done, these spots will be more prone and will continue to spread and darken.
On the other hand, to prevent the covers from turning yellow you also have to clean the cover itself at least once a week. This does not prevent its appearance 100%, but it will delay its appearance.
Can it be cleaned somehow?
To try to clean the cover and improve that appearance that has a yellowish cover, you could follow the following cleaning tips. Of course, do not expect miracles, if it is not done on time and good maintenance has not been carried out to prevent it, removing these stains may be impossible in many cases, so it is more worth buying a new cover given its low price.
soap and water
A method to clean the yellowish cover of your mobile is as simple as use soap and water. It can be conventional hand soap, or soap bars, either way, it must be an antiseptic. The steps to follow are:
- Find a container where you can submerge the sleeve.
- Dilute a little soap in warm water there.
- Submerge your phone case in the solution.
- Let soak for a few moments so that the dirt softens.
- With the help of a toothbrush or a rough sponge, rub all the areas and corners of your cover.
- Once clean, rinse with water under the tap.
- It only remains to dry using a soft cloth. If you let it dry for a few hours so that it loses all moisture, the better.
- Now you can put it back on your mobile.
Another way to clean your yellowed case is use isopropyl alcohol. This not only disinfects, it can also remove some embedded stains. To clean the cover:
- Soak a soft, lint-free cloth with the alcohol.
- With it rub the cover everywhere.
- Wait a few moments for it to dry, since alcohol evaporates very quickly and usually leaves no residue.
El sodium bicarbonate has many properties, and is widely used in home remedies and cleaning. It can also help you better clean the yellowed case of your mobile. This product is not corrosive or dangerous, and it is very cheap. Its granules can also help with the most embedded stains. For it:
- Cover your case with baking soda, without water or any other liquid.
- Leave about 15 minutes to act.
- Rub well with the help of a soft brush.
- You may have to repeat the process several times to remove tones from the yellow of the cover, but it can improve considerably.
- Finally, rinse the cover with water and dry very well.
Vinegar is always combined with baking soda in many home remedies. On this occasion it can be used alone, for its acidic properties that help clean surfaces and for its antimicrobial properties. For clean with vinegar:
- Use a container where you can submerge the case of your mobile.
- Put a little apple or normal grape vinegar (never balsamic or Modena vinegar, as they have sugar and leave residue), and a few drops of lemon juice too.
- Submerge the yellowish cover and leave it for about 10 minutes to act.
- Use a cloth to blot up all the vinegar. If it smells too much of vinegar, you can rinse with water if you want.
- Then, let it dry very well for several hours and place the case on the mobile.
Toothpaste also has several cleaning properties. Its fluorine and the particles that act as an abrasive They can be good to clean the yellowed case of your mobile. To do this, the steps are:
- Put some paste on a toothbrush you don't use.
- Rub the paste well on your phone case with gentle circular movements.
- Then use water to rinse it.
- Dry well with a soft cloth and leave until it loses all moisture.
- You can finally put your cover back on.
Finally, it is another of the most powerful cleaners you have at home. You can use any kind of bleach, no matter the brand, nor whether it is scented or not. To do this you must do the following:
- First of all, wear gloves to protect your hands, and also goggles and a mask if you are sensitive to its smell.
- Then, put your cover in a basin and cover with water.
- Add a good splash of bleach to it.
- Mix well and leave the cover for 1 hour to act.
- Then rub with a soft cloth or sponge.
- Now rinse with plenty of water and let dry.
Maintenance of your cover
Remember good maintenance of your case to prevent it from being a yellowed case. That is washing your hands before picking up your mobile, preventing dust and dirt from accumulating over time, and disinfecting surfaces, since a large number of bacteria usually appear on these frequently used objects.
This not only affects the color of the case itself, but can be a hotbed of infection considerably important. Of course, do not use domestic or industrial disinfectant products without knowing if they affect the material of the cover, since they could generate other major problems, such as corrosion or reaction. And whenever you clean them, make sure they are completely dry before installing them on the mobile.